SOAP LAKE — A grass fire sparked by grinding pipe caused 100 acres of land and a nearby shed to burn in rural land between Moses Lake and Soap Lake Monday afternoon, according to Grant County Fire District No. 7 Chief Kirk Sheppard.
Residents of the property, located near the intersection of Eastside Drive and Road D.7 Northeast, were reportedly using a grinder to cut galvanized pipe to size when the sparks ignited the grass underfoot. The fire spread to the shed, which was destroyed in the ensuing blaze, though no other property was reportedly endangered. No injuries were reported, Sheppard said.
Firefighters from four agencies spent around two hours Monday knocking down the fire, Sheppard said. The fire was ruled as accidental and no charges are expected.
— Staff report