Warming your house can present dangers

Print Article

Moses Lake Fire Department/courtesy photo Caution should be shown when using a space heater during the cold winter months. Locally, three fires in Moses Lake started because of a space heater.

MOSES LAKE — If you are one of those people who doesn’t believe it when you are told portable (space) heaters can be dangerous, consider that this winter the City of Moses Lake Fire Department has responded to at least three fires that started with a space heater.

According to Derek Beach, fire marshal with the department, it’s OK to use space heaters, but people who used them need to know which is or is not a proper use.

In all cases, Beach said, it’s the power demands of the heater that present the danger. When a space heater is used or connected in an inappropriate way, the power demand goes up, the chord can overheat and ignite nearby combustibles.

“If you connect the heater directly into an outlet, that is the safest,” Beach said. “But if you need to use an extension cord, make sure it’s big enough (capacity) to safely carry the power the heater will need.”

When the extension cord is not big enough to carry the power demand, the cord and plug can overheat and start a fire.

Even when you use a space heater correctly, there remains a degree danger, Beach said. You need to maintain clear an area of at least 3 feet around the heater. The heater can ignite curtains, blankets, beds, clothing or furniture that is close by and start a fire that way. Never leave a space heater operating while unattended, or while you are sleeping. Ceramic type heaters, while safer than older types, can still pose fire dangers.

If you are planning to buy a space heater, Beach said, buy a new one and make sure it has UL certification. That means it’s been tested.

Also, determine how much space a heater is designed to warm. It needs to be big enough for the space you want to warm.

Beach said it generally takes 10 watts of power to warm 1 square foot of space. A bedroom, or whatever room that measures 12 by 12 will require a heater of 1,440 watts or more.

“If the room doesn’t warm to a temperature at which the heater will stop automatically, it will not cool and neither will the cord, as they should from time to time,” Beach said. “A heater that won’t shut off creates a big demand for power.”

Beach said it is also dangerous to use your kitchen oven to warm the house. You can set it for 350 degrees and, if the door is open, it won’t reach that temperature.

“That causes a big demand for power which can cause the connection to ignite and start a fire,” Beach said. “The oven was not designed for this use.”

Also dangerous are gas or kerosene heaters, Beach said. These produce carbon monoxide, which is dangerous. They also deplete the oxygen in the air, and that’s dangerous.

If you have a fireplace, Beach said, assure yourself that the chimney is clean before starting a fire, and keep it clean. Dry wood is the safest, he said.

It is important to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every level in the home. They need to be tested monthly and batteries changed yearly. Smoke detectors need to be replaced every 10 years.

Beach noted that he and the department are working on some new fire prevention programs. This will be more for middle and high school students, adults and senior citizens. There is a program for elementary students.

Individuals or groups who would like to learn more about fire prevention may call Beach at 509-765-2204.

To date, fires caused by space heaters have not harmed anyone, and Beach would like to see things remain that way the rest of this winter.

Print Article

Read More Local News

BBCC helps vets and families with Christmas

December 09, 2018 at 8:02 pm | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — It’s a simple thing, really, helping a child on Christmas. That’s what the Big Bend Community College Veterans Resource Office wanted to this weekend by giving away toys to veterans’ fa...

Comments

Read More

Moses Lake Wendy’s packed on opening day

December 09, 2018 at 7:52 pm | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — The first press release said 4 p.m. That’s the time Friday afternoon the new Wendy’s at Yonezawa and SR 17 was supposed to open its doors to the public. “It just happened we’re able to...

Comments

Read More

Portable toilets set up at homeless campsites

December 09, 2018 at 7:50 pm | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — Following a public forum in Moses Lake on homelessness last week the city has decided to place portable toilets at various locations around the city where homeless people are known to st...

Comments

Read More

Grant County unemployment creeps up in October

December 09, 2018 at 7:49 pm | Columbia Basin Herald YAKIMA — October unemployment in Grant County crept up slightly between 2017 and 2018, and increased one-half of one percent between September and October 2018. The unemployment rate was 4.6 percent...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(509) 765-4561
PO Box 910
Moses Lake, WA 98837

©2018 Columbia Basin Herald Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X