Security business owner pleads not guilty to withholding evidence

Print Article

John Abens, who opened Moses Lake Security in 2010, is facing a felony charge for allegedly withholding surveillance evidence related to the November armed robberies of two Moses Lake convenience stores.

EPHRATA - Moses Lake Security business owner John Abens pleaded not guilty to allegedly withholding evidence related to the two convenience stores armed robberies last month.

Prosecutors charged Abens, 55, with first-degree rendering criminal assistance for allegedly refusing to give police a disc containing surveillance footage from the Sage and Sand Motel on Pioneer Way in Moses Lake, according to court records.

Moses Lake police obtained information that one of the robbery suspects, Cruz Vasquez, was seen leaving the motel the afternoon of Nov. 11, prior to the second armed robbery at a Moses Lake convenience store, and may have been dressed in the same clothing worn during the two armed robberies.

It was initially reported in a Dec. 16 Columbia Basin Herald story Vasquez and another suspect, Daniel N. Garza, 18, were staying at the motel. Moses Lake Police Capt. Dave Sands later clarified they were not staying there, but Vasquez allegedly frequented the motel lobby to buy drinks from the vending machine. Police believed the Nov. 11 surveillance footage from the hotel would have captured Vasquez near the vending machine.

According to court records, police requested a copy of the surveillance video from the motel owners, who were reportedly out of town for an extended period of time. The owners told police Moses Lake Security would have access to the recording and could recover the video. Abens was later contacted by police and made a copy of the video. He reportedly left a voicemail for one of the detectives to come pick up the disc. Police allegedly attempted to meet with Abens twice on Nov. 19, leaving at least two voicemails, which were never returned. Police tried to contact Abens several other times but did not hear back.

Abens was finally contacted and told police he was heading to Seattle for medical reasons and could provide the disc when he returned.

Abens was contacted Dec. 4 after returning to Moses Lake and allegedly refused to turn the disc over to police, according to court records, hanging up on several officers numerous times.

Abens was later arrested on South Division Street and a search warrant was issued for his Moses Lake home, although he later said the disc broke in his trunk.

In a previous interview with the Columbia Basin Herald, Abens questioned why police did not obtain a search warrant for the motel, where the video could have been recovered in a locked room. Moses Lake police said they were told the video evidence at the motel was deleted and Abens had the only copy left.

Abens was released from jail because of medical concerns at the request of jail medical staff, according to court records. He could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Trial was set for March 5 in superior court.

Print Article

Read More News

Mexico shocked by news: Girl trapped in rubble didn't exist

AP

September 22, 2017 at 3:35 am | MEXICO CITY (AP) Hour after excruciating hour, Mexicans were transfixed by dramatic efforts to reach a young girl thought buried in the rubble of a school destroyed by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake. S...

Comments

Read More

Kim Jong Un: 'Deranged' Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat

AP

September 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm | SEOUL, South Korea (AP) North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, in an extraordinary and direct rebuke, called President Donald Trump "deranged" and said he will "pay dearly" for his threats, a possible in...

Comments

Read More

The Latest: Trump speaks with Puerto Rico governor

AP

September 21, 2017 at 11:34 pm | SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) The Latest on Hurricane Maria (all times local): 9:55 p.m. The White House says President Donald Trump has spoken with the governors of Puerto Rico and the U.S. V...

Comments

Read More

China criticizes S&P credit rating cut as 'wrong decision'

AP

September 21, 2017 at 10:29 pm | BEIJING (AP) China's Finance Ministry on Friday criticized the cut in the Standard & Poor's rating agency's credit rating on Chinese government borrowing as a "wrong decision" and said it ignores t...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(509) 765-4561
PO Box 910
Moses Lake, WA 98837

©2017 Columbia Basin Herald Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X