MOSES LAKE — The Moses Lake School District assembled a task force to talk about security at Moses Lake High School and make some recommendations at the next board meeting on March 22.
“What are the right safety and security improvement to Moses Lake High School? We want to have a plan,” said Superintendent Josh Meek at last Thursday’s school board meeting.
The task force will meet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 14, at the MLHS large conference room for what Meek said will be “a hands-on work session.”
“We’ll study the campus, access, doors, and have a list of things that need to be done and a cost estimate,” Meek said.
He was hopeful the group could “create a starting project list that will meet the needs of students.”
In addition to Meek and school board members Susan Freeman and Vicki Groff, task force members include:
• Dave Balcom, the director of student services for the Moses Lake Schools;
• Chief Brett Bastian of the Moses Lake Fire Department;
• Matt Dingle, a loss control specialist with the North Central Educational Service District;
• Kyle Foreman, director of campus security at Big Bend Community College;
• Chief Kevin Fuhr, Moses Lake Police;
• Brent Harding, an architect with NAC in Spokane, the district’s architectural firm;
• Principal Jake Long of MLHS;
• Andy Nevarez, security officer at MLHS;
• Don Sherfey, maintenance director for the Moses Lake schools;
• Assistant Principal James Yonko of MLHS.
Meek said that while this is initially a “one-time meeting,” if the task force needed to meet again, it could.
Charles H. Featherstone can be reached via email at email@example.com.