MOSES LAKE — A fire broke out at Chico’s Pizza Parlor, a popular Moses Lake eatery, on Saturday evening, closing the restaurant for the indefinite future. No injuries were reported.
According a source on scene with the Moses Lake Police Department, an oven caught fire and the fire suppression failed to extinguish it.
The fire then spread upward, and has been smoldering in the space between the ceiling and the roof. Firefighters have been working to prevent the fire from spreading or getting out of control.
“There was a fire that occurred inside the oven. Fortunately our manager was able to get everyone out to safety. We just had our hoods and fire extinguishers were just checked,” said a statement on Chico’s Facebook page.
“I expect the damage will keep us closed for the foreseeable future. We will be open as soon as repairs are finished,” the statement concluded.
Chico’s owners for unavailable for comment during the weekend.
Great clouds of gray and black smoke were billowing from the roof of the Vista Village Shopping Center, which is home as well to Moses Lake Music, a tattoo parlor, and a Ukrainian grocery store, among other businesses.
According to the source, no one was injured.
Fire crews from city departments in Moses Lake and Ephrata and Grant County fire districts No. 4 and 5, responded to the fire.
Charles H. Featherstone can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.