Transformer failure sparks fire, outage in Ephrata

Print Article

MOSES LAKE — A transformer failure in Ephrata plunged a portion of Grant County into darkness Wednesday evening and sparked a fire that burned down a Grant County Public Utility District (PUD) maintenance building.

“A facility shop adjacent to the substation caught fire, and it was pretty substantial, either a partial or total loss,” said Grant PUD Public Affairs Managers Thomas Stredwick.

According to Stredwick, the power outage began about 7 p.m. Wednesday when a transformer failed and arced, lighting up the night sky in Ephrata and setting fire to the maintenance building.

About 8,000 customers total were affected, though service to Soap Lake and Quincy was restored in “short order,” about 45-60 minutes after the failure, Stredwick said.

However, power was not restored to the majority of Ephrata until about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, though Stredwick said Grant PUD was rebuilding sections of the distribution grid in Ephrata and that some neighborhoods — Oasis Park, Swanson Addition — would likely remain without power until mid-Thursday.

“We don’t know why the transformer failed,” Stredwick said.

Ephrata City Administrator Wes Crago said the outage forced city officials to monitor some city wells by hand and use emergency back-up generators to keep sewage lift stations — giant septic tanks that collect neighborhood sewage and then pump it to the water treatment plant — operating.

“And the sewer plant had some issues with pumps once the power came back on,” he said. “It was all hands on deck from 7 p.m. to about 11 p.m.”

Crago said that despite the outage, there were no problems related to the melting snow and the rainfall.

No one was injured in the fire, Stredwick said. He also thanked both the Ephrata Fire Department for its quick reaction to the fire and the PUD customers for their “patience and kindness” as power is completely restored.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Monument Hill Fire 100 percent contained

August 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm | Columbia Basin Herald QUINCY — After several days of combating the blaze, fire crews fully contained the Monument Hill Fire over the weekend. Fire officials believe the blaze was "likely" caused by human activit...

Comments

Read More

Fitting and showing sheep at Grant County Fair

August 18, 2017 at 5:00 am | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — What does it take to be an FFA grand champion sheep shower? “I just put in work, put my best out in the showing field. I always strive for my best,” said 15-year-old Gavin Sahli as he s...

Comments

Read More

Magically entertaining: Louie Foxx wows crowds at the Grant County Fair

August 18, 2017 at 5:00 am | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — What is magic? Is magic a simple trick or illusion? Or is it something more? During magician/entertainer Louie Foxx’s Thursday afternoon show at the Grant County Fair it became clear tha...

Comments

Read More

Show ring rewards quick thinking, cool head

August 18, 2017 at 5:00 am | Columbia Basin Herald MOSES LAKE — The 16 competitors in the show ring had their work cut out for them. Grant County Fair officials set up a relatively small ring for swine fitting and showing competition, or maybe it ju...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(509) 765-4561
PO Box 910
Moses Lake, WA 98837

©2017 Columbia Basin Herald Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X